Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Gear Review: Gerber Prodigy




I know I've already done a post on the Gerber Prodigy before, but that was just for the field test. This is the official review.
Overall I'm very pleased with it and it has fast become my favorite knife. I would definitely recommend it. You can find the specifics about the knife by going to GerberGear.com and looking up prodigy in the search.
Pros-
  • This is a solid knife. In the short time I've had it I have given it a beating and it's still in good shape.
  • It has a nicely squared edge on the back of the blade that works well with a firesteel.
  • The handle has a good grip even when wet.
  • Great for splitting wood.
  • It came with a very secure sheath that can be worn horizontally or in the drop down style.
  • In my mind the full tang is a big plus.

Cons-

  • It's a little hard to get the perfect edge that we all like on the blade. But I found by just adapting my sharpening technique a little, I got a satisfactory edge on it.
  • The skull crusher on the end of the handle has given me a few nasty scrapes. If I had my choice, I would leave that off.
  • It's a little heavier than I prefer, but if it were between the weight or the strength, I would take the strength it gives.

One last thing I would like to mention. There is a rumor going around about the blade saying the knife was made in the USA and the box saying it was made in China. It's true the blade says it was made in the USA, but the box says the knife was made in the USA too. The sheath was made in China. Okay all clear.

Have a great week.




No comments:

Post a Comment