Monday, June 20, 2011

Gear Review: Gerber Bear Grylls Survival Series Scout

For some time I've been on the lookout for a good every day carry knife. I believe I have finally found what I was looking for. The Gerber Bear Grylls Scout fits the bill perfectly. I have been using this knife for a couple weeks now and in that time have given it a hard beating. It is a relatively inexpensive knife and you can find the specifics about the knife here.
The lock on the knife is one of the most solid I
have ever used. Most folding knives I've used still
have a little give when they are open, but not this
knife.
The textured rubber handle is very comfortable to
use with no slipping. It also fits very comfortably into
my hand.
I don't typically like pocket clips on my knives, which
in my experience tend to catch on things and tear
up my hand as well as furniture. This clip is broad
enough that it doesn't catch on things like other clips
I've used.
Because of the serration, I wasn't quite able to make
a feather stick. But because I use this knife for
everyday carry I don't mind the serration. It's great
for cutting fibrous materials.
The only complaint I have with the knife is the steel the blade is made out of is soft enough that it does require a fair amount of maintenance. I have already had to sharpen it several times in the short amount of time I've had it.
Overall for the price I have been very impressed with this knife. It is light to carry and can take alot of abuse. If you are looking for a good everyday carry knife, you might want to give it a try.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the write up Caleb. I like the GBG range. I have the Gerber Bear Grylls Folding Sheath Knife like this one http://www.aboveandbeyond.co.uk/.gerber-bear-grylls-folding-sheath-knife_013658120242.htm its essentally the size up from yours and I like it as its almost the same as the Ultimate knife but instead of being fixed blade, it folds away.

    ReplyDelete